At the forefront of farming and food, Memphis Meats is innovating new ways to produce real meat, without the need to breed, feed and slaughter animals. Our process begins with an animal cell, which is cultivated and harvested as meat. Memphis Meats is a mission-driven company focused on bringing to meat lovers an authentic product that is truly humane, sustainably produced, nutritious and delicious! We are now expanding our team of dedicated professionals across disciplines to make better meat for a better world.
About this job
The Vice President of Quality will play a key strategic role in defining, establishing, and enforcing the quality systems that will come to define cell-based meat food production, processing, and packaging processes required to ensure safe and delicious meat food products for consumers at pilot and commercial scale.
The Vice President of Quality will be responsible for ensuring appropriate methods are strategically integrated into the broader company goals, taking long- and short-term views on product quality as products, processes, and company priorities are developed. This role is a key leadership position, setting both company and industry precedent for scaled cell-based meat quality and safety. This role will lead the formation of a world-class quality management team. The ideal candidate is eager to take on new challenges, is not afraid to fail and is willing to identify mistakes and learn from them.
As Vice President, the position will be expected to protect the brands through continuous improvement in the areas of compliance to food safety, quality, regulatory, sanitation and corporate standards. This includes participating in the innovation process to ensure complete quality and food safety risk analysis and validation of compliance documentation.
- Oversee the future Quality Control and Assurance staff and work in concert with the R&D staff and Regulatory team. The Quality team is responsible for regulatory compliance, kosher, organic, halal, etc. certifications, label applications and compliance with various customer quality programs.
- Acts as the subject matter expert on behalf of the organization for quality and day-to-day food safety issues.
- Fosters a collaborative relationship among other functional areas (operations, sales, marketing, R&D, etc.), this person will maintain the status as the independent authority on quality assurance, food safety and regulatory affairs.
- Leads a staff that is results oriented and driven to serve their internal and external customers while developing and implementing regulatory strategy and managing those systems and programs in order to meet all corporate goals and objectives.
- Demonstrable ability to manage both FDA and USDA relationships, inspection regimens, post-market compliance plans, adverse event reporting, and label approval processes
- 10+ years experience in food manufacturing with at least five years in a senior role (Director or above).
- Excellent people management skills as well as experience in the management of quality systems and technical services functions.
- Ability to set challenging, reasonable performance expectations for regulatory compliance, microbiological performance and HAACP/HARPC programs
- Experience and working knowledge of continuous improvement processes as well as the ability to effectively collaborate with company senior leadership at suppliers and customers.
- View of regulatory stakeholders and wider agricultural industry as partners under one Big Tent
- A deeply technical background that can easily translate evidence into action
- A collaborative nature that works well independently and with others
- A willingness to work with teammates to build a healthy professional environment to produce delicious, safe meat products
Memphis Meats is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.