Klarna was founded in Stockholm, Sweden in 2005. Since then we've changed the banking industry forever. And now we're creating the world's smoothest shopping experience. We serve over 90 million consumers worldwide, and partner with 200,000 merchants – with a new merchant joining us every 8 minutes. Including some of the world's leading brands, such as H&M, ASOS, IKEA, Adidas, Samsung and Lufthansa. Our offices are spread over 17 different markets, hosted by 3500+ employees from 100 nationalities.
This is an excellent opportunity for Software Engineers to join our brand new office in our newly formed tech hub of Milan, Italy.
About Engineering at Klarna
Engineering at Klarna is an inspired, customer focused community, dedicated to crafting solutions that redefine our industry. Working in small, highly collaborative Agile teams, you and your team will have a clear mission and ownership of an important outcome that supports Klarna and our customers. At Klarna we optimise for quality, flow, fast feedback, focusing on end-to-end ownership, continuous improvement, testing, monitoring, and experimentation. We aim for teams that are inclusive, helpful, and have a strong sense of ownership for the things they build.
As a Klarnaut, you’ll contribute to the growth of Europe’s most highly valued fintech and your work will reach millions of users. Want to be part of the change? We're expanding several of of our engineering teams; teams working on our core checkout product, payment services and Klarna App to name a few.
Check out what it's like to be an engineer in Milan here.
What you’ll get to do:
- Own your services end to end. Decide how best to build, test, deploy and monitor.
- Be an integral part of a team, in addition to its culture and ways of working. Common practices include agile methodologies, pair and mob programming.
- Work with large scale, highly available and resilient modern financial systems.
- Take ownership on system design, collaborate with domain architects, own end-to-end problems, manage stakeholder communication, and mentor junior engineers
- Succeed, fail, and learn together with other talented people. We believe in an environment that provides an opportunity for growth and see education as an outcome of failure that gets us closer to the next breakthrough.
- Work with modern tools and languages that excite you.
- You will be the interface between business / customer using your product knowledge to make informed decisions.
- Take responsibility for end-to-end feature work; through planning, development, deployment, maintenance, and monitoring.
- Drive knowledge sharing through demos, presentations and tutorials.
Some of the technologies you will get to work with:
- Java (latest versions)
- Spring and Spring Boot and potentially other modules
- Other technologies include: Docker and Kubernetes, Kafka/SNS/SQS, PostgreSQL, DynamoDB, Elasticsearch/ELK stack, Microservice architecture at scale on AWS*
* Even if you are not proficient in all of them, you should be open to learning and working with any of these technologies as the choices available may change over time.
To succeed in this role, we think you should have:
- Software development experience in Java
- Experienced working with modern frameworks
- Strong problem solving ability
- Growth mindset and bias for action
- Good communication skills in English
We understand some people might not feel they tick every box (ie coming from a non JS background). But if you're excited about the prospect of joining Klarna and believe you can add value, we'd still love to hear from you.
What we can offer you
Make an impact - You'll be part of a small team that functions like a start-up, with their own problem space and freedom to steer. Each team consist of multiple competences needed to deliver success.
Be part of a true international team - You'll have the opportunity to work in an international company and with cross-geographical teams with people from a variety of different countries.
Work-life balance - You know best how and when you are the most productive. We value goals achieved rather than working hours spent.
Fail fast and learn faster - You are expected to try, fail and learn from your mistakes. We put focus on knowledge sharing, reflection, training and regular internal technical talks to foster a learning culture.
Drive your unique career path - You'll have the support around you to take the next steps in your career. You decide what your irregular path looks like.
RSU program in a sky rocketing fintech - You’ll receive an attractive salary, pension, and insurance plans, plus we offer all of our employees an opportunity to invest in a RSU program and own a stake of the company.
We also believe in making contributions back to the open source community. You can find some of our work at https://github.com/klarna.
How to apply: please send us your CV or Linkedin profile in English.
Klarna is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and candidates. Please refrain from including your picture and age with your application.