At the forefront of farming and food, UPSIDE Foods is innovating new ways to produce real meat, without the need to breed, feed and slaughter animals. Our process begins with an animal cell, which is cultivated and harvested as meat. The founding company of the industry, UPSIDE Foods is a mission-driven organization focused on bringing to meat lovers an authentic product that is truly humane, sustainably produced, nutritious and delicious! We are now expanding our team of dedicated professionals across disciplines to make better meat for a better world.
About this job
As our first Commercial Counsel, you will serve as primary liaison for all agreements, fulfill a strategic and growing role, and advise internal stakeholders on all areas of risk and opportunity. This is a fantastic opportunity to hone not only your commercial contracts skills, but also your broader legal and business acumen as you help us build efficient and scalable processes. Come join a small and growing legal team!
- Serve as primary point of contact for all agreements
- Lead and support contract negotiations with strategic partners on complex commercial and technology matters
- Structure, draft, and advise on a variety of technology and commercial agreements big and small
- Create and update playbooks to help drive alignment across the company on how we think about each of the types of agreements (and business relationships) that come across your desk
- Own key template documents, including periodic revisions and improvements, and help operationalize templates into our contracts management and automation tool (Ironclad)
- Identify legal issues and risks throughout the business and relationships with third parties, and advise on appropriate risk mitigation
- Handle and advise internal clients on contract requests and business opportunities
- Manage and nurture partnerships and business relations
- Assist with managing fundraising due diligence and preparing transaction documentation
- Other special projects given your interest areas and the needs of a rapidly scaling company & team
- A healthy sense of humor and slight love of chaos
- Self-motivated, creative, strategic, proactive, and scrappy
- Ability to handle a substantial workflow and competing deadlines with little supervision
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate complex legal issues clearly and succinctly in non-legal speak
- 5-7 years of top tech/startup and/or prior in-house experience as commercial counsel, or equivalent
- Other useful areas of experience include: data/privacy, regulatory, m&a, corporate, and/or intellectual property is a major plus!
- Deep understanding of deal structures and Intellectual Property licensing models
- Adept at writing and meticulous editing in a variety of styles to produce quality materials for legal and business purposes
- Skilled at cordial negotiating and at developing lasting business relations
- Experience managing outside counsel, as well as internal lawyers, paralegals, and/or legal operations
- Works well both independently and with a highly collaborative team, with proven ability to multi-task and set priorities
- Business-oriented and creative problem solver
- Licensed to practice law in California or New York (member of the bar or Registered In-House Counsel)
UPSIDE Foods is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.