At the forefront of farming and food, UPSIDE Foods is innovating new ways to produce real meat, without the need to breed, feed and slaughter animals. Our process begins with an animal cell, which is cultivated and harvested as meat. The founding company of the industry, UPSIDE Foods is a mission-driven organization focused on bringing to meat lovers an authentic product that is truly humane, sustainably produced, nutritious and delicious! We are now expanding our team of dedicated professionals across disciplines to make better meat for a better world.
About this job
The Research Associate (Process Development) will support routine lab operations and media preparation to ensure experiments and R&D cultivation runs of cell-based meats are successful. Under the direction of the Process Development team, you will support development of novel platforms and processes for the cultivation of cell based meat. You should understand bioreactor-based experiments, cell culture work flows and procedures. This laboratory-based position requires wet-bench work on a daily basis across several concurrent projects, followed by rigorous documentation of data and presentation of findings to the Process Development team. You should be creative, enthusiastic, and self-motivated.
We hope to find someone creative and enthusiastic, who enjoys hands-on work to be part of our growing team.
- Creating an environment of trust, continuous improvement, and learning.
- Multi-tasking and performing multiple operations within the same day across different platforms.
- Managing schedule and priorities on a daily basis, while working to a timeline.
- Performing sterile cell and tissue culture techniques
- Hands-on media preparation for various cell culture projects.
- Support lab scale bioreactor operations and cell culture experiments.
- Hands-on support with cell harvest processes.
- Performing routine maintenance on process equipment.
- Acquiring and organizing data independently; recording all experimental designs, procedures, observations, and results in an electronic laboratory notebook
- Summarizing and presenting results to supervisor and the larger team in an organized, concise, and logical manner, both verbally and visually.
- Drafting reports and SOPs for review by supervisor.
- Communicating with other teams within the company or with outside vendors.
- Maintain process specific inventory of parts and consumables.
- Adhering to and enforcing good lab practices, including cleanliness, safety (PPE), and waste handling; takes immediate action to correct any potential safety issues.
- 0 - 2 years of animal cell culture experience, preferably in industry, but academic setting considered.
- BS in cell biology, molecular biology, bioengineering, chemical engineering or related life sciences field.
- Competent with Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
- Working knowledge of basic safety, good laboratory practices and cell culture aseptic technique.
- Detail-oriented and well-organized.
- Excellent critical thinker.
- Ability and willingness to follow Standard Operating Procedures.
- Ability to relate with people at all levels within an organization, including diverse cultures.
- Must be comfortable working independently and on a team.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced and evolving environment.
- Comfortable presenting in front of groups consisting of peers and/or management.
- When necessary, must be willing and able to work outside of business hours.
- Experience in data analysis platforms (e.g. JMP, Minitab), including statistical analysis and presenting data in table and graph forms.
- Experience with benchtop bioreactor setup and operations.
UPSIDE Foods is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.