At the forefront of farming and food, UPSIDE Foods is innovating new ways to produce real meat, without the need to breed, feed and slaughter animals. Our process begins with an animal cell, which is cultivated and harvested as meat. The founding company of the industry, UPSIDE Foods is a mission-driven organization focused on bringing to meat lovers an authentic product that is truly humane, sustainably produced, nutritious and delicious! We are now expanding our team of dedicated professionals across disciplines to make better meat for a better world.
About the role
The Bioprocess Operator is responsible for the production of cell-cultured meat by interfacing with automated production and bioprocess systems and controls. Technicians in this role will operate production equipment with specific duties that encompass: equipment preparation, culture growth, media/buffer preparation, process monitoring, sampling, and harvesting, all within a regulated environment focused on safety, quality, and efficiency.
- Operate bioprocess equipment for cell culture operations (cell bank thaw through harvest).
- Prepare media and buffer solutions for the production process.
- Clean, assemble, and sterilize equipment
- Operate automated systems for equipment operation
- Comply with safety requirements, adherence to standard operating procedures, batch records, good documentation practices, and data capturing.
- Recognize problems, investigate and suggest potential solutions.
- Partner with coworkers and supervisor to effectively troubleshoot minor equipment and process issues.
- Support installation of new bioprocess equipment, as well as execution of testing and operational debugging of said equipment.
- Foster a positive safety culture.
- Work schedule could include shift work (including weekend, evening or night hours)
- B.A or B.S degree preferably in Life Sciences or Engineering with 1+ years experience in a bioprocess manufacturing environment or other regulated industry,, or Associate’s degree in a science related field with 3+ years experience.
- Basic understanding of cell culture processes, equipment setup, aseptic technique, and sterilization operations.
- Ability to understand technical process knowledge within the area of responsibility.
- Ability to follow Standard Operating Procedures and interact with process automation systems for routine work.
- Experience with creating and maintaining manufacturing operations documentation (SOPs, batch records) is a plus
- Proficiency with business applications (such as MS Office and Google applications).
- Experience interacting with ERP and/or Quality Management systems are a plus.
- Good problem solving, mechanical aptitude, communication, and team skills
- Must be willing and able to work evening/night hours and weekends, as needed
- Must be able to carry up to 40 pounds.
- Must be able to stand up for long periods of time while monitoring operations and performing daily tasks.
- Must be able to don Personal Protective Equipment (safety glasses, gloves, footwear, lab coats or coveralls) on a daily basis, as well as hearing and dust protection as needed.
UPSIDE Foods is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.