At the forefront of farming and food, UPSIDE Foods is innovating new ways to produce real meat, without the need to breed, feed and slaughter animals. Our process begins with an animal cell, which is cultivated and harvested as meat. UPSIDE Foods is a mission-driven company focused on bringing to meat lovers an authentic product that is truly humane, sustainably produced, nutritious and delicious! We are now expanding our team of dedicated professionals across disciplines to make better meat for a better world.
About this job
The Supplier Quality Specialist will play a key supporting role in executing and enforcing the food safety and quality systems that will come to define cultivated meat food production, processing, and packaging processes required to ensure safe and delicious meat food products for consumers at pilot and commercial scale.
The Supplier Quality Specialist will be responsible for implementing and executing the Supplier Approval and Maintenance Program, including supplier and item food safety document collection, document review, supplier auditing, supplier and item approval, and ongoing supplier file maintenance. This role supports the Food Safety Manager and the Food Safety and Quality Team, aiding in company precedent for scaled cultivated meat quality and food safety. This role will be a part of a world-class quality management team. The ideal candidate is eager to take on new challenges, is not afraid to fail and is willing to identify mistakes and learn from them.
Aid in the implementation, execution, and enforcement of food safety and quality systems that will be a critical pillar of manufacturing cultivated meat and an example for this new way of making food. The specific area of work is the Supplier Approval and Maintenance Program. Duties include but are not limited to:
- Primary ownership of the Supplier Approval and Maintenance Program, with support from FSQA team and leadership:
- Ensure that Supplier Preventive Controls are effectively implemented and documented
- Ensure compliance with Foreign Supplier Verification Program
- Supplier documentation collection and organization in TraceGains
- Supplier documentation review and approval
- Supplier auditing, including follow ups as needed
- External audit support as related to supplier quality and safety, including FDA, USDA, and local regulatory agencies
- Non-conformance and complaint investigation and CAPA as related to supplier quality and safety
- ERP & TraceGains implementation
- Conducting new supplier approval audits as needed, some overnight travel required to visit suppliers.
- Provide backup for QA Lab team with review, analysis, and release of incoming raw materials for use in production as needed.
- Acts as a point person on behalf of the FSQA department for supplier and item related questions and issues at the plant.
- Uphold, along with the Sr. Leadership, a strong culture and commitment to Quality and Food Safety throughout the UPSIDE Foods organization.
- Must be able to carry up to 25 pounds.
- Must be able to sit or stand up for long periods of time while monitoring operations and performing daily tasks.
- Must be able to don Personal Protective Equipment (safety glasses, gloves, footwear, lab coats or coveralls) on a daily basis, as well as hearing and dust protection as needed.
- Other relevant duties as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (food science, food manufacturing, biology, etc.) preferred, or equivalent experience
- 2+ years experience in food manufacturing within the food safety and quality department preferred, experience working with supplier approval programs strongly preferred
- Strong organizational skills, written and verbal communication skills, and a keen eye for detail
- PCQI and/or HACCP certification preferred, but willing to train after hire
- Experience with Google Suite (Docs, Sheets, Slides, Drive) preferred, ability to learn new software platforms quickly required
- A collaborative nature that works well independently and with others
- A willingness to work with teammates to build a healthy professional environment to produce delicious, safe meat products