Founded in Tokyo in 2012, SmartNews has quickly become the go-to source of news for millions of users around the world, and a leading news aggregation mobile app. Our mission is bigger than simply aggregating news, and we are working to break through the filter bubble and deliver the world’s quality information to the people who need it.
As the Sr Programmatic Sales Manager, you will be the first programmatic seller within the organization, tasked with creating our programmatic sales business from the ground up. Reporting to the Head of Programmatic, you will be responsible for developing revenue generating relationships with programmatic partners including brands (Holding companies, Agencies, Trading Desks, Direct Brands) and DSP/SSP partners to grow and maintain programmatic revenue, and to establish stickiness and a direct relationship between customers and SmartNews. This role will be responsible for owning programmatic revenue goals, and helping SmartNews evolve into a programmatic center of excellence through concrete customer-centric value propositions.
- Help define SmartNews programmatic value proposition for brands, agencies, DSP's, and various programmatic partners globally, aligning messaging, product, and customer experience to provide a compelling service offering supporting programmatic advertising business models.
- Analyze and develop macro advertiser insights to bring new programmatic advertising solutions to market in conjunction with Product/Engineering/Marketing.
- Define and execute the company’s Go-To-Market strategy in how we sell to programmatic deals (PMP, Programmatic Direct), identify and negotiate strategic partnerships with brands/agencies, while working with our BD team to distribute SmartNew’s programmatic offering through various platform channels (e.g. DSP/SSP curated marketplaces, AdX marketplace, APS Direct Deals).
- Maintain a sales pipeline and meet or exceed revenue goals and targets.
- Define how to position different buying options, floor prices/ratecard, and sales tactics to ensure we meet optional ROAS for our clients while maximizing revenue.
- Create pitch decks, one-sheeters, and marketing materials to assist in evangelizing our sales offering.
- Stay apprised of all programmatic initiatives such as ID-less and GDPR that impact our business and require additional technical and operational support.
- In collaboration with the direct sales team, define the right media model and framework for selling direct and programmatic in conjunction (e.g. PMPs and PG deals), while supporting and educating the direct sales team on programmatic value propositions.
- Hire, develop, and mentor the programmatic sales team, which will grow in size and scope as we build success.
- Represent SmartNews at various Programmatic forums, industry working groups, and events, to ensure SmartNews remains at the cutting edge of Ad Tech.
- 6+ years of relevant ads industry experience, with 4+ years in programmatic ad sales and 2+ years of management experience.
- Deep ad/tech programmatic expertise, with existing contacts across major agencies, holding companies, and brands.
- Prior experience owning and exceeding revenue goals in a sales role within an online advertising company.
- Prior experience leading and growing a programmatic sales team.
- Proven experience building GTM strategies around sales execution.
- Ability to dig deep into customer requirements as well as technical requirements to provide descriptive and well-thought out feedback to engineers and product managers.
- Prior experience leading and growing a digital sales team.
- Love being strategic, but just as importantly, rolling up your sleeves to be hands-on with the day-to-day business.
- Strong speaking and presentation skills.
- Strong financial, operational, and analytical skills.
- Prior experience at an Online Publisher, DSP, SSP, or similar company within Ad Tech, preferred.
- Early-stage startup experience is a plus.
- Work experience in a multicultural environment is a plus.