SmartNews is a technology company with a mission of “Delivering the world’s quality information to the people who need it”. We have a leading mobile news app that is used by tens of million of monthly active users in Japan and the U.S. Our challenge is to grow SmartNews to be a leading global product to deliver quality information that will support millions around the world.
To accomplish such challenge, machine learning on core Advertisement Ranking system is crucial in building a profitable advertisement ecosystem to support the company's aggressive growth.
Our engineers come from variety of backgrounds from large, well-established companies to small ventures. We believe that employees with diverse sets of skills working together makes for strong, cohesive teams.
Visit our People page to see interviews of our engineering leaders!
【Machine Learning Engineer Responsibilities】
Machine Learning engineer for Ads Ranking is responsible for Deep Neural Network (DNN) based machine learning architecture, and scaling core-ranking system by solving a range of online prediction, recommendation, and optimization problems with engineering and mathematical thinking to maximize ads revenue and performance.
- Develop Ads Ranking core systems and algorithms to generate relevant ads that leads to the growth of profitable ads-ecosystem (e.g ads targeting, ranking, auction, strategy, model serving reliability, etc)
- Build highly scalable machine learning/deep learning systems/models to improve ads ranking quality. Relevant model types include but are not limited to user click through rate (CTR), user conversion (CVR), prediction model, and user targeting model.
- Collaborate closely with cross functional teams, such as product managers and product specialists, to achieve improvements and efficiency of ads auction and bidding strategies by releasing new algorithms
- Collaborate closely with backend engineers to develop scalable ads ranking and delivery system
- BS degree or above in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Science (physics or mathematics) or other relevant majors
- 3+ years experience in the prediction, optimization, or other relevant systems for the online web service (e.g online advertisement, content recommendation, etc)
- Experience in making business impact through machine learning, deep learning, or mathematical optimization (e.g achieving increase of revenue of the business or user volume of the service)
- Familiar with architecture and implementation mechanism of at least one mainstream machine learning programming framework (TensorFlow/Pytorch/MXNet/etc)
- Business level English
- M.S. or Ph.D in the relevant major
- Experience in AWS, SpringBoot, MySQL, Hive, Hadoop, Spark, Docker, Kubernetes.
- Have participated in development for high traffic web services (for example, experience in backend engineering in ads-delivery server.)
- Experience in ads industry
- Have basic understandings of statistics, and various mathematics at a liberal arts level. Knowledge in game theory and auction theory.
- Business level Japanese
【Benefits and Perks】
- Support programs for self-improvement and career development (language learning, etc.)
- SmartKitchen - Healthy lunch on a daily basis for free (Tokyo Office)
- ChikyuCoffee - Delicious coffee provided by our Barista every day (Tokyo Office)
- Transportation coverage (maximum 50,000 yen)
- Various social insurance benefits included