At the forefront of farming and food, UPSIDE Foods is innovating new ways to produce real meat, without the need to breed, feed and slaughter animals. Our process begins with an animal cell, which is cultivated and harvested as meat. The founding company of the industry, UPSIDE Foods is a mission-driven organization focused on bringing to meat lovers an authentic product that is truly humane, sustainably produced, nutritious and delicious! We are now expanding our team of dedicated professionals across disciplines to make better meat for a better world.
About this job
Excited about pushing the boundaries of how meat is produced? We are seeking a mechanical engineer to help bring cell-based meat to production. You should be comfortable using CAD programs to design, explore concepts and run analyses. You will then need to use prototyping tools and outside vendors to turn your ideas into physical parts. You should be excited to work collaboratively with the diverse R&D team to understand the needs of cell culture and assist the team in designing, setting up and running experiments on your designs. You should enjoy the dynamic nature of start-up culture and be prepared to work quickly on many different ideas at once.
We hope to find someone creative and enthusiastic, who enjoys hands-on work to be part of our growing team.
- Designing parts in CAD (SolidWorks)
- Fabricating parts using in-house equipment (3D printer, laser cutter, drill press, etc.)
- Sending parts out for fabrication and coordinating with vendors
- Hands-on involvement in commissioning of systems
- Thermal, fluid, and structural analysis
- Planning upcoming builds and experiments
- Finding novel and creative solutions to biological and mechanical problems
- Presenting your work to the larger team and explaining your ideas to people with different technical backgrounds
- 5+ years of relevant work experience
- BS or MS in Mechanical Engineering
- Proficient with CAD (SolidWorks preferred)
- Experience working with sheet metal and other metal manufacturing processes
- Experience working on large machinery/systems
- Hands-on, prototyping experience
- Experience self-managing individual projects and working with a timeline in mind
- Demonstrated experience identifying root causes of difficult problems and implementing novel solutions
Nice to have
- Experience with fluids system, plumbing design
- Experience working with cell culture
- Experience with computational fluid dynamics, finite element analysis, and thermal analysis software(s)
UPSIDE Foods is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.